The build-up is nearly over and it’s time to enjoy a festive week of food and fun with your nearest and dearest. You may have your tree for 2 or 3 weeks already by now, but you will also want your home to look its best for family visits on Christmas day and through to the New Year! So, we’ve pulled together some handy tips to care for and then dispose of your Christmas.
How to Make Your Christmas Tree Last Longer
- Keep your tree away from direct heat such as radiators or open fires
- Spray your tree with a mist of water regularly if it can’t be stored in water (or if it’s not on display for long enough to need storing in water)
- If your tree has roots, keep the soil in the container moist and top it up every day
- If it’s a ‘sawn’ tree, store it in a bucket of water out of the house for as long as possible until you need to display it
- When you are ready to display it, cut another inch off the trunk to aid water absorption
- If your tree doesn’t fit in your chosen nook or corner, simply grab some shears and trim it until it’s perfect for its intended spot
How to Dispose of Your Christmas Tree
- If your Christmas tree has roots, you can plant it in January and care for it until next Christmas. This is the most environmentally friendly method of having and disposing of real Christmas trees!
- If you’re local to Avant Home and Garden Centre but can’t call in, you can take your tree to local recycling and disposal initiatives such as the one at Yarrow Valley Country Park on 4th and 5th January
- You can, alternatively, cut your tree up and put it in your garden waste recycling bin or add it to your compost heap
If you still need last minute gifts, cards, wrapping or decorations we are open as normal on Monday 23rd December and from 9am to 2pm on Christmas Eve. You can see our full Christmas opening times here.