It’s time for October’s Gardening To Do List – where has the year gone? You can catch up with all of the lists in this series here, starting in January. First things first, head back to September’s list if you haven’t already to make sure your garden is clean and prepped for chillier climates.
- If you don’t have a greenhouse, protect any vulnerable plants with fleece during the frost. Secure the fleece with garden staples in windy weather.
- Harvest pumpkins and squashes now to prevent them from turning to mush in the colder temperatures.
- Take the final harvest of your peas and beans then cut the plant back to ground level, leaving the roots buried.
- Clear plant matter and dead leaves from your beds and lawns regularly to prevent rotting and promote airflow.
- If you have a pond, net over it now to stop dead leaves falling in.
- Have evergreen hedges? Give them a final trim before the first frost.
- Start gathering prunings and twigs to build a bonfire – but ALWAYS check carefully for hedgehogs before lighting!
Call into our garden centre on Wigan Road in Leyland 7 days a week for all things home and garden (plus delicious home-cooked food) or shop online here. Don’t forget to ‘like’ us on Facebook here for the latest offers, updates and gardening advice.
- New Cafe Opening Hours 8th May 2023
- Compost Prices 2023 22nd April 2023
- Christmas Opening Hours 2022 10th December 2022
- Platinum Jubilee Opening Hours at Avant 27th May 2022
- Easter 2022 Opening Hours 14th April 2022
- Christmas Shop Hours 2021 15th October 2021
- Opening Hours Change from 11 October 2021 13th October 2021
- WE ARE OPEN DURING LOCKDOWN 3 6th January 2021