February. It’s cold, the nights are long and your toes are frozen…but spring is firmly in our sights! Winter can be miserable, especially for a passionate gardener who is keen to get out there, but there are still tasks you can be keeping on top of that will reap great rewards when the warmer months arrive. First things first, check you have ticked everything off our January Gardening To Do List. Up to date? Great stuff, here’s your February Gardening To Do list…
Freshen up your garden this February
- Get ready to sow! As long as the ground isn’t frozen, you can cultivate your beds and get the soil toasty warm in preparation. Gardening fleece or polythene will do the trick.
- Be one step ahead of the weeds – dig them up, roots and all, before the warm weather hits.
- If you have apple or pear trees, this is their last dormant month and your last chance to prune them!
- Cover any strawberry plants with cloches for an early crop in 2019.
- Trim your hedges ready for birds to nest safely in the spring.
- Help keep our birds warm! Hang fat balls and fill up any bird feeders with tasty treats, February is still bitter in England.
- If you’ve succumbed to ‘Wisteria Hysteria’, now is the time to prune your plants ahead of the new season.
For the latest updates from Avant Home and Garden Centre along with offers, competitions and advice, ‘like’ us on Facebook here.
- Avant’s Christmas Menu 2023 16th December 2023
- New Cafe Opening Hours 8th May 2023
- Compost Prices 2023 22nd April 2023
- Christmas Opening Hours 2022 10th December 2022
- Platinum Jubilee Opening Hours at Avant 27th May 2022
- Easter 2022 Opening Hours 14th April 2022
- Christmas Shop Hours 2021 15th October 2021
- Opening Hours Change from 11 October 2021 13th October 2021