It’s a new month which means a new Gardening To Do List! We’re past the halfway mark on our calendars now and so we are well on our way to perfect gardens with the help of the Gardening To Do Lists feature. If you’re not up to date, you can access all previous editions here. So, what can you be doing in the garden this month?
- Have a barbecue! You’ve worked hard following these to do lists all year, treat yourself to a barbecue and show off your garden. We’ve got everything you’ll need to cook up a storm in store.
- Nourish your dahlias with liquid plant food and ensure they are well watered in the summer temperatures.
- Be wary of weevils! Nip them in the bud before they take over – this easy to use solution will do the trick.
- Regularly sweep out your greenhouse or any similar structures – debris can encourage pests and diseases.
- Take cuttings from your perennials, such as fuschias, now as they are best propagated this way. Plant the cuttings now so that they root well and can survive the winter or store your cuttings until next spring and plant them then.
- Be picky! Keep picking your herbs as they grow to encourage fresh, young growth. If you can’t possibly eat any more herbs as they grow, why not use them as foliage in arrangements and vases?
- Plant second-cropping potatoes now in sacks or containers and enjoy new growth in autumn and winter. Store in a greenhouse in August to fight off blight.
Call into our garden centre on Wigan Road in Leyland 7 days a week for all things home and garden (plus delicious home cooked food) or shop online here. Don’t forget to ‘like’ us on Facebook here for the latest offers, updates and gardening advice.