Whilst the UK is still being hit with sporadic sunshine and mini heatwaves well into September, the mornings and nights are certainly getting chillier by the day. Not to mention to torrential downpours striking much of England! This turn in the weather makes it harder for our wildlife to thrive.
At Avant Home and Garden Centre we’re well stocked with all the birdcare items you need, some of which are also available from our online shop. So, we’ve put together this brief guide to caring for Britain’s birds (and squirrels) and helping them to survive the harsh British winter.
- Keeping warm requires lots of extra calories for birds but the lack of daylight hours makes this more difficult. Putting out fresh food and water will help them to keep full and warm. This can be leftovers from your house such as grated mild cheese, dried fruit or fruitcake, unsalted nuts or fruits such as apples and pears that are starting to turn. Fatty foods such as mealworms or suet and high calories treats such as nuts and seeds are perfect.
- Cleanliness is key! Keep bird feeders, baths and tables clean to avoid the spread of diseases and always wash your hands after feeding the birds.
- Watch out for the frost…birds struggle to find unfrozen water for drinking and bathing after a frost. Floating a small ping-pong ball or similar object on the surface will prevent the area from freezing as even a slight breeze will keep it moving.
- Provide shelter. Plant dense hedges or allow plants like ivy and holly to grow freely for birds to nest in. If birds are nesting in your roof and you need to fix the hole, we encourage you to consider putting a nest box up where the hole was.
Call into Avant Home and Garden Centre on Wigan Road, Leyland, or visit our online shop (please note stock will vary between the two). Don’t forget to ‘like’ us on Facebook here for the latest offers, updates and gardening tips.
- New Cafe Opening Hours 8th May 2023
- Compost Prices 2023 22nd April 2023
- Christmas Opening Hours 2022 10th December 2022
- Platinum Jubilee Opening Hours at Avant 27th May 2022
- Easter 2022 Opening Hours 14th April 2022
- Christmas Shop Hours 2021 15th October 2021
- Opening Hours Change from 11 October 2021 13th October 2021
- WE ARE OPEN DURING LOCKDOWN 3 6th January 2021